Multi-disciplinary design leader with over 20 years of experience applying human-centered design to projects, teams, and organizations. By directly connecting human needs to purposeful outcomes, I have repeatedly created superior results for users and stakeholders in the form of improved usability, satisfaction, engagement, and revenue.
- Issaquah, WA
- (817) 504-7550
- Download Résumé
- Improved participation in employee engagement program by over 200% by activating volunteers and focusing on delegation, transparency, and communication.
- Increased membership in AIGA DFW by 30% while President by instituting human-centered programming.
- Directed design of a revolutionary point of sale for the world’s largest retail travel agency; securing a $1.4 billion/10-year contract and resulting in a 23% YOY increase in profit for the pilot customer.
- Led the design of a mobile trading app that won Barron’s “Best Online Brokers” in 2013 and 2014 due to usability.
- Grew a freelance design business into an award-winning studio; winning 36 awards and receiving recognition 31 times in 11 publications over 3 years.
Stealth FinTech Startup Remote
Head of Design (Brand & UX) March 2021 – Present
Operational leader, hiring manager, and most-senior designer.
- Recruited and managed multi-disciplinary design teams covering UX, Marketing, and Events for two companies simultaneously.
- Led the design of cryptocurrency and options trading platforms concurrently, including creating a unified Design Language System spanning both products and brand.
- Drove company branding (naming, core traits, corporate ID, tone of voice). Created an integrated design standard that governs brand, marketing, and digital product design.
- Facilitated definition and prioritization of product vision and long-term roadmap.
- Established processes, standards, and practices governing the relationship between Product, Design, and Development.
USAA Plano, TX
Design Director June 2017 – March 2021
Hiring manager and Creative Director for a high-performing team of designers supporting P&C.
- Used human-centered methods to influence vendor selection, strategic direction, and product vision for a billion-dollar system modernization effort involving 2700 features updating 86% of P&C’s system architecture. Supported 450 developers across 9 release trains.
- Led volunteer-based employee engagement program for Chief Design Office. Directed a team of 40, including volunteer managers. Reported results directly to Chief Design Officer.
- Facilitated the design of an Augmented Reality Car Buying innovation pilot, resulting in 17% quote generation and coverage in Forbes.
Sabre Southlake, TX
Customer Experience Strategist June 2015 – June 2017
Portfolio-level design strategist, working with Product Managers to create vision and roadmaps.
- Integrated Human-Centered Design into the product development life cycle. Planned and facilitated workshops with every legacy domestic air carrier.
- Directed a 12-person team of designers and researchers to create a next-generation travel agent point of sale; creating $32 million in incremental profits for our pilot customer in the first year.
- Oversaw the development of pioneering flights merchandising capabilities that continue to drive industry innovation to this day.
- Spoke on behalf of Sabre at multiple international conferences: Big Design, Global Business Travel Association, and Online Travel Executives Forum
- Traveled internationally conducting on-site user research and Design Thinking workshops
Principal User Experience Designer July 2014 – June 2015
Subject matter expert on interaction design and information architecture.
- Guided the maturity of UX practice by authoring standards for visual design, information architecture, interaction design, and front-end development.
- Managed the professional development of junior team members.
- Led research, design, and front-end development for the industry-leading developer-experience portal, Sabre Dev Studio.
Senior User Experience Designer January 2013 – July 2014
Designed workflows and interfaces for expert users of Sabre’s Travel Agency POS. Created information architecture schematics, wireframes, and mockups for websites, mobile apps, and desktop software.
xCube LABS Dallas, TX
Senior Interaction Designer April 2012 – January 2013
Designed mobile applications and games for clients including Trademonster, Sharp, Mastercard, Rovio, CBS, and Dreamworks. Led client-facing collaboration. Mentored junior design staff.
ohTwentyone (self) Colleyville, TX
Principal & Creative Director March 2005 – April 2012
Owner and Principal Designer of multidisciplinary design studio specializing in brand and UX projects for small businesses and non-profit organizations.
Vice President 2014-2016
Website Director 2012-2014
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Graphic Design2000
- American Package Design Awards 2012
- American Graphic Design Awards 2011
- American Web Design Awards 2011
- American Graphic Design Awards 2010
- American Web Design Awards 2010
- American Graphic Design Awards 2009
- American Web Design Awards 2009
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
- PRINT Regional Design Annual
- Logo Lounge Vol.7
- LogoLounge Master Collection Vol.4
- Visual Marketing: 99 Proven Ways…
- Trademarks USA 2
- Trademarks USA
- The New Big Book of Layouts
- Designing for the Greater Good
- Logo Lounge Master Collection, Vol.1
- Logo Lounge Vol.5
- Relationship Management
- Human-Centered Design
- Design Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving
- User Experience (UX) Design
- Interaction Design
- Information Architecture
- User Interface (UI) Design
- Design Research
- Usability Engineering
- Mobile App Design
- Responsive Web Design
- Adobe CC
- Experience Designer
- Microsoft Office
- Google Workspace
- Optimal Workshop