is a design leader with a point of view informed by ten years of entrepreneurship, hundreds of usability tests, thousands of lines of code, millions of active users, and 1.4 billion dollars.
I apply Human-Centered Design to discover and frame problems, and a hands-on Design Thinking approach to produce desirable and feasible solutions. I build partnerships with stakeholders and peers to drive informed product decisions based on quantitative and qualitative user feedback. I nurture an environment where designers can flourish and contribute value to every stage of a project, from generative research and strategy to production and optimization. I lead designers to translate complex needs and objectives into powerful and easy-to-use digital products. I advocate for the ability of design to transform business.
- Improved design organization engagement in employee feedback program >200% through organizational and procedural changes.
- Directed design of next-generation Point Of Sale for the world’s largest retail travel agency, resulting in a $1.4 billion contract for Sabre Travel Network, and a 23.2%/$32MM YOY increase in profit for the customer.
- Drove adoption of Human-Centered Design in Sabre Travel Network
- Improved membership in AIGA chapter 30% during a 2-year term as President
- Led design and front-end development of Sabre Dev Studio, scaling a portfolio of 6 APIs to over 100 during a 6-month beta period, while maintaining a 96% task success rate in usability testing.
- Designed Trademonster Mobile, which received the top scores for Usability and Mobile in Barron’s Online 2013 “Best for Online Brokers” evaluation.
- Grew a freelance design practice into an award-winning multidisciplinary design studio, winning 36 design awards and receiving recognition 31 times in 11 publications between 2009 and 2012.
USAA Plano, TX
Design Director June 2017 – Present
Recruit, manage and develop a high-performing team of designers. Direct the contribution of Design to a billion-dollar system modernization program. Facilitate the design of P&C digital product acquisition and servicing interfaces. Lead volunteer-based employee feedback program for Chief Design Office.
Sabre Southlake, TX
Customer Experience Strategist June 2015 – June 2017
Designed visionary artifacts to create a strategic direction for product portfolio development. Collaborated with Product Managers to develop and prioritize new products and features. Integrated Human-Centered Design into the product development lifecycle. Managed a 12-person design and research team.
Principal User Experience Designer July 2014 – June 2015
Served as Subject Matter Expert on Interaction Design and Information Architecture. Guided the maturity of UX practice within Sabre Travel Network by authoring or contributing to standards for visual design, information architecture, interaction design, and front-end development. Managed the development of junior team members. Led research, design, and front-end development for the industry-leading Developer Experience portal, Sabre Dev Studio.
Senior User Experience Designer January 2013 – July 2014
Designed software workflows and user interfaces for expert users of Sabre’s Travel Agency POS. Created information architecture schematics, wireframes, and mockups for the detailed design of application states and screens. Observed and integrated findings from usability testing.
xCube LABS Dallas, TX
Senior Interaction Designer April 2012 – January 2013
Designed mobile applications and games for clients, including Trademonster, Sharp, and Mastercard, among others. Led the design team as a client-facing facilitator of collaboration exercises. Mentored junior design staff.
ohTwentyone (self) Colleyville, TX
Principal & Creative Director March 2005 – April 2012
Operated multidisciplinary design studio by leading branding, print, and web design projects for small business and association clients.
Paramount Mortgage Fort Worth, TX
Director of Marketing March 2003 – March 2005
LeftUpstairs Studios (self) Shepherdstown, WV
Principal & Senior Designer June 2001 – March 2003
Jon Walker Graphic Design (self) Shenandoah Junction, WV
Partner & Designer January 2000 – June 2001
Contact501 Colleyville Terrace
Colleyville, TX 76034
- Design Management
- Human-Centered Design
- Design Thinking
- Workshop Facilitation
- Public Speaking
- Creative Direction
- User Experience (UX) Design
- Interaction Design (IxD)
- Information Architecture
- User Interface (UI) Design
- Design Research
- Usability Engineering
- Mobile Application Design
- Responsive Web Design
- Graphic Design
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Apple iWork Suite
- Certified SAFe Agilist
- Pragmatic Marketing Foundations
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
Shepherdstown, WV—May 2000
AIGA Dallas/Fort Worth
- Treasurer (Current)
- President (2016-2018)
- Vice President (2014-2016)
- Website Director (2012-2014)
- PRINT Regional Design Annual 2012
- American Package Design Awards 2012
- American Graphic Design Awards 2011
- American Web Design Awards 2011
- American Graphic Design Awards 2010
- American Web Design Awards 2010
- American Graphic Design Awards 2009
- American Web Design Awards 2009
- Logo Lounge Vol.7
- LogoLounge Master Collection Vol.4
- Visual Marketing: 99 Proven Ways…
- Trademarks USA 2
- Trademarks USA
- The New Big Book of Layouts
- Designing for the Greater Good
- Logo Lounge Master Collection, Vol.1
- Logo Lounge Vol.5